Dental Bridges Specialist in Stafford, TX
If you are looking for treatment of a gap in your dental arch, then contact Smile Dental in Stafford, TX, where our professionals are experienced in bridge procedures. We are conveniently located at 738 FM 1092 Rd, Stafford, TX 77477. For more information, please call us or schedule an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
The average adult has 32 teeth (28 if the four wisdom teeth were removed), including incisors, canines, and molars. In some cases, teeth can become weakened or damaged and fall out, leaving a gap in the dental arch. In these cases, a dental bridge is used to fill-in the gap and provide a more even bite.
A dental bridge is a technique in which a metal framework is placed over the teeth to replace a missing tooth. In modern dentistry, this is achieved by a dental technician, using dental CAD/CAM technologies, to create a computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) template, which is then used to create a full prosthesis for the patient. A dental bridge may be required for numerous reasons, such as a patient with missing teeth in the upper or lower jaw. There are three main types of dental bridges that can be created using CAD/CAM templates, including a removable, fixed or implant bridge.
There are four main types of bridges:
• Traditional Fixed Bridge — This is the most common type of bridge and includes a crown on either side of the bridge in order to support the teeth.
• Resin-Bonded Bridge — This is often used to replace front teeth, and instead of crowns, it uses porcelain or metal frameworks with supports that are bonded to the back of the adjacent teeth on both sides of the gap.
• Implant-Supported Bridge — This type of bridge typically requires two procedures; in one procedure, an implant for each missing tooth is surgically embedded into the jawbone. In a later procedure, the bridge, which contains the pontics, is placed over them.
• Cantilever Bridge — This type of bridge is no longer commonly used and involves anchoring a single crown on a natural tooth when only one side of the gap contains a natural tooth.
The type of bridge that is used will depend on each individual situation; a dentist will use their best judgment when determining which type of bridge to use and will choose the most appropriate procedure for each unique situation.
Dental bridges can provide many benefits, including:
• Restore a natural look to mouth/smile
• Restore the ability to speak normally
• Maintain normal structure by preventing bone loss
• Restore the ability to chew food efficiently
• Prevent adjacent teeth from moving into space
Dental bridges play a large role in dentistry and allow patients to maintain a strong, rigid dental structure if they have a missing tooth or teeth. This procedure has the potential to correct a bite and make chewing food much easier. By stabilizing the surrounding teeth, dental bridges provide a solid biting surface in the mouth, keeping the teeth aligned in the process.
Dental bridges are designed to be permanent, however, in many cases, they may need to be replaced around 10 to 15 years after the original procedure. The length of time a dental bridge will last depends on several factors, including:
• The type of bridge used
• The area the bridge is implanted
• The oral hygiene of the patient
Depending on the aforementioned factors, a dental bridge can last anywhere from 10 years to the rest of one’s life, and this longevity largely depends on oral hygiene. At Smile Dental, we are dedicated to providing you with all of your dental bridge needs. Our dental professionals are experienced in bridge procedures and can help you improve the structure of your teeth. Call us today to book an appointment for a dental bridge, or visit our clinic in Stafford, Texas today! We serve patients from Stafford TX, Meadows Place TX, Missouri City TX, Sugar Land TX, Fifth Street TX, Dewalt TX, and Trammels TX. We look forward to serving you!